WHAT: IRS-certified students from Rio Hondo College will provide free basic income tax return preparation for individuals and families who earned $52,000 or less in 2015 as part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
WHEN: 2 to 6 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 3 to April 13; closed March 30
WHERE: Business Building, Rio Hondo College, 3600 Workman Mill Road, Whittier
DETAILS: VITA volunteers will help prepare Form 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ, including standard and itemized deductions, earned income tax credit and Schedules A and B. VITA does not handle Form 1040NR, married couples filing separately, or Schedules C, D and E, or farm income.
Applicants for aid will need:
- Photo identification for all those on the return
- Social Security cards
- Birth dates for filers and all dependents
- Wage and earnings forms (W-2, W-2, 1099R)
- Interest and dividend statements (Form 1099)
- Copy of 2014 federal and state returns, if available
- Blank check with bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- Other data: interest statements, day care records, day care tax ID number
INFORMATION: Appointments are recommended. Call (562) 463-7359 between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for appointments or to ask questions.