MONTEBELLO – The Montebello Unified School District (MUSD) announces its policy for providing free and reduced-price meals for children served under the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. A copy of the policy is available for review by any interested party at the Nutrition Services Department office, located at 1518 Mines Avenue, Montebello.

The 2016-17 “Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals” forms are distributed to households of all enrolled children in MUSD. Additional applications are available at school offices and the Nutrition Services Department office. Filing an online application may be done at

To apply for free or reduced-price meal benefits, households must complete an application and return it to the school or the Nutrition Services Department for processing. The information households provide on the application will be used to determine free or reduced-price meal eligibility and may be verified at any time during the school year by school or program officials. If the household member who signs the application does not have a Social Security number, the household member must indicate on the application that a Social Security number is not available.

Applications may be submitted at any time during the school year. If a household member becomes unemployed or if the household size increases, the household should contact the Nutrition Services Department at 323-887-7978. Such changes may make the children of the household eligible for benefits if the household’s income falls at or below the levels shown in the Income Eligibility Guidelines listed below.

Children who receive CalFresh (formerly Food Stamp), California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) benefits are automatically eligible for free meals regardless of the income of the household in which they reside.

Households that receive CalFresh, CalWORKs or FDPIR benefits may not have to complete an application. School officials will determine eligibility for free meals based on documentation obtained directly from the CalFresh, CalWORKs or FDPIR office that a child is a member of a household currently receiving CalFresh or FDPIR benefits or an assistance unit receiving CalWORKs benefits. School officials will notify households of their eligibility, but those who do not want their child(ren) to receive free meals must contact the Nutrition Services Department at 323-887-7978. CalFresh, CalWORKs and FDPIR households should complete an application if they are not notified of their eligibilities by September 30, 2016.

The household size and income criteria identified below (see image) will be used to determine eligibility for free, reduced-price or full-price meal benefits. Children from households whose incomes are at or below the levels shown here are eligible for free or reduced-price meals.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) Fax: 202-690-7442; or
(3) Email:

For more information, contact Victoria Cheung, R.D., MUSD Director of Nutrition Services, at 323-887-7978.