WHITTIER – IRS-certified students from Rio Hondo College will provide free basic income tax return preparation for individuals and families who earned $54,000 or less in 2017 as part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
The program will run Fridays from Feb. 2 through April 13 at the Rio Hondo College main campus and the Rio Hondo Educational Center at Pico Rivera. The program will cycle between the two sites:
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 9, 23, March 9, 16, 23 and April 13: Rio Hondo Administration of Justice Building, 3600 Workman Mill Road, Whittier
- 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Feb. 2, March 2 and April 6: Rio Hondo Educational Center at Pico Rivera, 9426 Marjorie St., Pico Rivera
No appointment is needed. VITA volunteers will help prepare forms 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ, including standard and itemized deductions, and earned income tax credit. VITA does not handle Form 1040NR, married couples filing separately, Schedules C, D, E, F and SE, rental property or farm income. Applicants for aid will need:
- Photo identification for all those on the return
- Social Security cards
- Birth dates for filers and all dependents
- Wage and earnings forms (W-2, W-2, 1099-R)
- Interest and dividend statements (Form 1099s)
- Copy of 2015 federal and state returns, if available
- Blank check with bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- Other data: interest statements, day care records, day care tax ID number
INFORMATION: Call (562) 463-7359 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.