WHAT: Students from Monrovia Unified’s Mayflower Elementary School and Monroe Elementary School will join schools from across the country to celebrate National Walk to School Day.
Students will walk and bike to school along with parents and teachers as Monrovia Police Department traffic/patrol officers deploy to neighborhoods near schools to enforce traffic laws and remind everyone of the importance of pedestrian and bicycle safety.
WHEN: Wednesday, Oct. 2
Start: 7:30 a.m.
Arrive at schools: 8 a.m.
WHERE: Mayflower Elementary School, 210 N. Mayflower Ave., Monrovia
Monroe Elementary School, 402 W. Colorado Blvd., Monrovia
MEDIA: For event information, contact Andrea Garcia at (909) 447-2403
• Walk on sidewalks or paths when available; otherwise, walk on the shoulder, facing traffic.
• Stay alert. Don’t be distracted by electronic devices that take your eyes (and ears) off the road.
• Never assume drivers see you. Make eye contact with drivers as they approach.
• Be predictable. Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections when possible.
• If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area, wait for a gap in traffic that allows you enough time to cross safely and continue to watch for traffic as you cross.
• Be visible. Wear bright colors during the day and reflective materials or use a flashlight at night.