EL MONTE – Surrounded by close family, friends, teachers and Viking supporters, Mountain View High School senior Erika “Kika” Rivera on Feb. 4 signed her letter of intent to play softball at Pomona Pitzer College, an NCAA Division III university, where she has earned an academic scholarship.
Rivera – who has enjoyed a decorated career as a varsity scholar athlete in softball and soccer – is a member of the Associated Student Body (ASB) and is among the top 10 of her graduating class, earning a cumulative 3.91 GPA.
“I want to thank everyone who has helped me throughout my high school experience – my parents, teachers and friends who have pushed me even after those long days after softball,” Rivera said. “It was hard, but I want to thank everyone for being there for me.”
Some of Rivera’s athletic accomplishments include:
• 2019 All CIF Southern Section Softball Team Division 5 – Pitcher
• 2019 San Gabriel Valley All Star Game – Platinum – Most Valuable Player
• 2019 All SGV Tribune Softball Team – Pitcher
• 2019 HEART Award Varsity Soccer
• 2017, 2018, 2019 Mountain View High School Varsity Softball Most Valuable Player
• 2017, 2019 All Mission Valley League First Team Selection, Softball
• 2018 San Gabriel Valley North-South All Star Game Selection
• 2018 Mission Valley League Most Valuable Player, Softball
• 2017 All CIF Southern Section Softball Team Division 7 – Pitcher
“Kika is such a good person all around and someone who you can always count on in the classroom and on the playing field – she’s responsible, independent and self-motivated and that goes with what’s she’s been taught at home,” softball coach Stephanie Luna said. “It has been my greatest pleasure guiding her toward greatness.”
Rivera plans to major in psychology and pursue a career in teaching.
“We are so incredibly proud of Kika and the pride she continually brings to the Mountain View community as a talented scholar-athlete who excels in the classroom, is involved on campus and meets every challenge presented to her,” Principal Jose Marquez said. “Mountain View has prepared her well for what’s ahead in her academic, athletic and professional endeavors, and our Viking family wishes her all the best.”
020420_EMUHSD_MVHSRIVERA: Mountain View High School senior Erika “Kika” Rivera signs her letter of intent to play softball at Pomona Pitzer College, an NCAA Division III university, where she has earned an academic scholarship on Feb. 4.