EL MONTE – El Monte Union served 67,960 breakfast and lunch meals from three schools – Arroyo, El Monte and South El Monte – during the first three weeks of the school dismissal period¬, with officials committed to continuing the District’s successful nutrition program through the end of the 2019-20 school year.
Acting on recommendation from state, county and public health officials, El Monte Union on March 13 initiated its dismissal period starting March 16 to limit the spread of COVID-19 and promote social distancing. The District has since extended the dismissal period for the remainder of the school year.
“We know this situation has had a tremendous impact on our families, students and community, but we remain steadfast in our commitment to ensuring our students continue to receive instructional services and have access to much-needed meals,” Superintendent Dr. Edward Zuniga said. “I want to thank our nutrition services staff for their diligence and dedication to ensuring this essential service continues seamlessly.”
El Monte Union will distribute its grab-and-go meals to children 18 and younger from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday throughout the dismissal period, including over Spring Break, scheduled April 13-17.
In an effort to maintain accountability and program integrity, El Monte Union has instituted the following guidelines for its distribution sites at Arroyo, El Monte and South El Monte high schools:
• Meals will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis based on availability.
• Meals will be offered to any student who is present at any participating school.
• No ID is required for students.
• It is recommended that children be present when parents are picking up meals.
• For parents who cannot bring their children to pick up meals:
o The District will limit the number of meals to no more than three.
o School staff may seek verification of student enrollment from parents to avoid duplicate meals.
Other participating partners include:
El Monte City School District
• Potrero School, 2611 N. Potrero Ave., El Monte, 91733
• Durfee School, 12233 Star St., El Monte, 91732
• Gidley School, 10226 E. Lower Azusa Road, El Monte, 91731
• Shirpser School, 4020 Gibson Road, El Monte, 91731
Mountain View School District
• Payne School, 2850 Mountain View Road, El Monte, 91732
• Kranz Intermediate, 12460 Fineview St., El Monte, 91732
• Twin Lakes School, 3900 Gilman Road, El Monte, 91732
Rosemead School District
• Encinita School, 4515 Encinita Ave., Rosemead, 91770
• Savannah School, 3720 Rio Hondo Ave., Rosemead, 91770
• Muscatel School, 4201 Ivar Ave., Rosemead, 91770
Valle Lindo School District
• Shively School, 1431 Central Ave., South El Monte, 91733
040620_EMUHSD_NUTRITIONPROGRAM1: El Monte Union nutrition services staff prepare grab-and-go meals for students. The District has served 67,960 breakfast and lunch meals from three schools – Arroyo, El Monte and South El Monte – during the first three weeks of the school dismissal period¬, from March 16-April 3.
040620_EMUHSD_NUTRITIONPROGRAM2: El Monte Union is distributing grab-and-go meals to children 18 and younger throughout the dismissal period. The District has instituted several new guidelines to maintain accountability and program integrity.