EL MONTE – The El Monte Union High School District Board of Trustees recently honored six parents who dedicate their time to volunteering for the benefit of students, teachers, staff and the school communities they serve.
Also recognized was the 2018-19 District Parent Volunteer of the Year: Jenny Cardenas from Fernando R. Ledesma High School.
“She’s selfless, thinks about all students and does what she can to help students and their parents,” Principal Freddy Arteaga said. “I appreciate her and thank her for all the good she does in our community.”
Cardenas, whose son is an alumnus of the school, helped fund a scholarship program called “Amor de las Madres,” or “A Mother’s Love.”
“I’m very proud of the scholarship fund and hope to grow it next year,” Cardenas said. “Thank you for giving my son the opportunity to succeed.”
The following parent volunteers were also recognized for their service:
• Darlene Gonzalez, from Arroyo High School, who volunteers in the PTA and participates in fundraising efforts and athletics.
• Jose Macias, from El Monte High School, who is a member of the Measure HS Bond Oversight Committee and volunteers at school events with the entire family.
• Erika Cordero, from Mountain View High School, who is a member of the School Site Council and volunteers during football games, band, choir and other school activities.
• Kin Vong, from Rosemead High School, who serves as a parent liaison, translator and advocate.
• Erica Mondragon, from South El Monte High School, who participates in various parent activities.
“Parent engagement and participation are integral to the success of our students and schools,” Superintendent Dr. Edward Zuniga said. “I want to thank our parent volunteers for their dedication, time and effort to ensuring our schools are strong, our students are supported and our parents are involved.”
072419_EMUHSD_PARENTVOLUNTEER1: El Monte Union recently honored six parent volunteers for their efforts, naming Jenny Cardenas from Fernando R. Ledesma High School its 2018-2019 District Parent Volunteer of the Year. She is pictured with Principal Freddy Arteaga.
072419_EMUHSD_PARENTVOLUNTEER2: El Monte Union recently honored its parent volunteers, including Jose Macias (left), from El Monte High School; Kin Vong, from Rosemead High School; Darlene Gonzalez, from Arroyo High School; Jenny Cardenas from Fernando R. Ledesma High School; Erica Mondragon, from South El Monte High School; and Erika Cordero, from Mountain View High School. They are pictured Superintendent Dr. Edward Zuniga, left, and the Board of Trustees: Member Maria Morgan, Clerk Ricardo Padilla, President David Diaz, Member Carlos Salcedo and Vice President Florencio Briones.