El Monte Union High School District
El Monte Union Measure HS Facilities Bond Fuels New Construction at Schools
EL MONTE – Construction of a new multipurpose building and gymnasium at Fernando R. Ledesma High School is moving forward as El Monte Union plans a host of new Measure HS-funded projects, including a new Community Education Center and synthetic track and fields.
Approved by voters in November 2018, Measure HS authorized $190 million in facilities bonds that are funding enhancements of learning facilities at each high school. The first series of bonds was sold in June 2019 for $56.7 million. It is anticipated that the next series will be sold in 2021 or 2022.
Among the first large-scale projects funded by the bond measure is the multipurpose building and gymnasium, which aims to promote healthy living, collaboration and sustainability. It will include a full basketball court and bleachers, classrooms, weight room, restrooms, kitchenette and offices. The anticipated completion date is summer 2021.
El Monte Union will unveil a new Community Education Center at the District Office this fall.
Rosemead High School’s athletic stadium will receive a new synthetic track and field and concession buildings, with construction to begin in January 2021 and be completed in July 2021. Meanwhile, South El Monte’s quad will be revamped over fall.
“We have been moving very swiftly to push projects forward while our students and staff are not on campus, including our HVAC installations that took place throughout the school dismissal period,” Superintendent Dr. Edward Zuniga said. “We are very excited to get these projects off the ground and ensure that we continue to provide our students with high-quality learning and play environments that are safe and welcoming.”
Board-approved Measure HS projects (Series A) include:
• Community Education Center at District Office (completion date: fall 2020)
• Over 250 HVAC Replacement at all sites (completion date: fall 2020)
• Roof Replacement at various sites (completion date: fall 2020)
• Multipurpose building and gymnasium at Fernando R. Ledesma High School (completion date: summer 2021)
• New synthetic track and field and concessions buildings at Rosemead High School (completion date: summer 2021)
• South El Monte High School quad upgrade (completion date: summer 2021)
• New artificial track and field and concession buildings at Arroyo High School (planning & design phase)
• New concessions buildings, restrooms and bleachers Mountain View High School (planning & design phase)
• Full modernization at Mountain View and South El Monte high schools (planning & design phase)
• New campus at Granada Transition Center (Sites assessment phase)
• Artificial track and field replacement at El Monte and South El Monte high schools (planning phase)
• Solar-equipped parking covers at El Monte High, Ledesma and other campuses (planning phase)
Additional planned projects include repairs to leaky roofs, aging walls, plumbing and bathrooms; security, emergency communication and fire safety upgrades; safe drinking water; expansion of science, engineering and computer labs; and more.
An independent Citizens’ Oversight Committee oversees and monitors project expenditures.
082520_EMUHSD_CONSTRUCTION1: Construction of a new multipurpose building and gymnasium at Fernando R. Ledesma High School is moving forward. It will include a full basketball court and bleachers, classrooms and weight room.
082520_EMUHSD_CONSTRUCTION2: A rendering of the Community Education Center that will be unveiled this fall at the District Office.
082520_EMUHSD_CONSTRUCTION3: A rendering of Rosemead High School’s planned concession buildings. The school will also receive a new synthetic track and field, with construction to begin in January 2021 and be completed in July 2021.
082520_EMUHSD_CONSTRUCTION4: A rendering of South El Monte High School’s revamped quad, which will be constructed over fall 2020.